The Winner of the Development of Cape Town’s Infamous Unfinished Freeway is Announced

Hayley February 15, 2018

Mitchell Du Plessis Associates (MDA) have been chosen as the winning bid for the redevelopment of the Foreshore Freeway Precinct.  The redevelopment includes completing the unfinished flyover which has been a city eyesore for the past forty years.

The City selected MDA from seven initial proposals which had been submitted.

In June 2016, Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille said that she wanted it to be part of her legacy in the city to see the bridge finished or altered (otherwise “dealt with”), and called for bids from the private sector to share what they would do with the bridge and the Foreshore District.

As part of the conditions for the development proposals, they had to include plans to alleviate congestion and provide affordable, inclusive housing in the city centre.

MDA’s proposal entails, among others, the completion of the unfinished sections of the freeways, including the connections to and from Helen Suzman Boulevard, and the connections to and from the N1 and N2 freeways. It will include a combination of approximately 3 200 market-related residential units and a minimum of 450 affordable residential units.

The expected development cost is R8.3-billion, which includes the new highway infrastructure. The city stated that the development is to be largely self-funded.

“The core development area is City-owned land and is approximately six hectares in size. It is located under and between the existing foreshore freeway viaducts between the northern edge of the central business district (CBD) and the Cape Town Harbour.

“The other sites that the qualifying bidder has identified as part of their proposed Foreshore Freeway Precinct development are the Ebenezer road maintenance depot, the MyCiTi Prestwich bus depot, the Gallows Hill traffic centre, and the Cape Town International Convention Centre parking garage. All of these properties are owned by the City,” the City said.

To complete the unfinished highways and to finance or cross-subsidise the new roads and affordable residential units through the development of upmarket and mid-market residential units. It is proposed that the market-related residential units be located in 11 new tower blocks with spectacular views. The towers will extend across four precincts within the foreshore area on the area of land between the new freeways.

“Part of the proposal is also to build another 10 residential buildings on the northern edge closest to the harbour under or between the existing eastbound freeways between DF Malan and Christiaan Barnard Streets. These buildings will host affordable residential units.”

“Importantly, the qualifying bidder’s proposal is ecologically sensitive and addresses the impact of the development on the environment with water, energy, and lighting design solutions. Grey water recycling, rainwater harvesting, and water treatment systems are included, as are measures to mitigate the impact of high winds and noise,” the City said.

The building work is said to commence in 2020, subject to the successful completion of the Stage 2 process, and all mandatory property disposal, development and other statutory processes, and approvals. It is expected to take at least a decade to come to fruition.

To see the video of the plans go to:https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=F_5U_xtkTTcwhere the CCIC has loaded the video on Youtube.